RSS

by East Coast Risk Management on Dec 20, 2011

 The holiday season is a time for celebration, and that means more cooking, decorating, entertaining & an increased risk of accidents.  We would like to share some simple guidelines to help make your holiday season safer and more enjoyable:

Xmas Fireplace

Holiday Lighting

  • Use caution with holiday decorations and, whenever possible, choose those made with flame-resistant, flame-retardant and non-combustible materials.
  • Keep candles away from decorations and other combustible materials, and do not use candles to decorate Christmas trees.
  • Carefully inspect new and previously used light strings, and replace damaged items before plugging lights in.
  • Don't mount lights in any way that can damage the cord's wire insulation.  To hold lights in place, string them through hooks or insulated staples - don't use nails or tacks.  Never pull or tug lights to remove them.
  • Keep children and pets away from light strings and electrical decorations.
  •  Never use electric lights on a metallic tree.  The tree can become charged with electricity from faulty lights & a person touching a branch could be electrocuted.
  • Plug all outdoor electric decorations into circuits with ground-fault circuit interrupters to avoid potential shocks.
  •  Turn off all lights when you go to bed or leave the house.

  Decorations

  • Use only non-combustible and flame-resistant materials to trim a tree.  Choose tinsel and artificial icicles of plastic and non-leaded metals.
  • Never use lighted candles on a tree or near other evergreens.  Always use non-flammable holders, and place candles where they will not be knocked down.   
  • In homes with small children, take special care to avoid decorations that are sharp and breakable, while keeping trimmings with small removable parts our of the reach of children.
  • Avoid trimmings that resemble candy and food that may tempt a young child to put in his/her mouth.

Holiday Entertaining

  • Unattended cooking is the leading cause of home fires in the US.  When cooking for holiday visitors, remember to keep an eye on the range.   
  • Keep matches and lighters up high, out of sight and reach of children
  • Test smoke alarms and make guests aware of your fire escape plan.

 Trees

  • When purchasing a live tree, check for freshness.  A fresh tree is green, needles are hard to pull from branches and when bent between your fingers, needles do not break.
  • When purchasing an artificial tree, look for a "Fire-Resistant" label.
  • When setting up a tree at home, place it away from fireplaces, radiators and portable heaters.  Place tree out of the way of traffic and do not block doorways.
  • Cut a few inches off the trunk to expose fresh wood.  This allows for better water absorption and will help you keep your tree from drying out and becoming a fire hazard.
  • Make sure the base is steady so the tree won't easily tip over.

Fireplaces

  • Before lighting any fire, remove all greens, boughs, papers and other decorations from fireplace area.
  • Be sure to check that the flue is open.
  • Do not burn wrapping papers in the fireplace.  A flash fire may result as wrappings ignite suddenly and burn intensely.

Toys and Ornaments

  • Purchase appropriate toys for the appropriate age.  Some toys designed for older children might be dangerous for younger children.
  • Electric toys should be UL/FM approved.
  • Toys with sharp points, sharp edges, strings, cords and parts small enough to be swallowed should not be given to small children.
  • Place older ornaments and decorations that might be painted with lead paint our of the reach of children and pets.

Children and Pets

  • Poinsettias are known to be poisonous to humans and animals, so keep them well out of reach, or avoid having them.
  • Keep decorations at least 6 inches above the child's reach.
  • Avoid using tinsel.  It can fall on the floor and can be eaten by a child or pet.
  • Keep any ribbons on gifts and tree ornaments shorter than 7 inches.  A child could wrap a longer strand of ribbon around their neck and choke.
  • Avoid mittens with strings for children.  The string can get tangled around the child's neck and cause them to choke. 
  • Watch children and pets around space heaters or the fireplace.  Do not leave a child or pet unattended!
  • Store scissors and any sharp objects that you use to wrap presents out of your child's reach.
  •  Inspect wrapped gifts for small decorations, such as candy canes, gingerbread men and mistletoe berries, all of which are choking hazards.   

 

 

 


Bookmark our mobile website
m.aiwmi.com

Conveniently access customer service and claim info directly from your cell phone. Read more.

Valparaiso
570 Vale Park Road Suite A
Valparaiso, Indiana 46385

219-462-5178
8AM - 4:30PM Mon - Fri